Most of us take some time in January to make New Year’s Resolutions. Today’s article is about how to power up your resolutions by turning them into intentions, and how to activate your 2014 intentions.
START WITH A YEAR-END REVIEW
After the holidays, when our house quiets down, my husband and I review the intentions we set a year ago, for the year that’s ending. We celebrate our wins and learn from our misses.
When you review your 2013 resolutions, notice what was easy to accomplish, note what was harder and what didn’t happen. See if your priorities shifted as the year went along. What were your biggest obstacles? Where did you derive your biggest support?
NEXT, SET YOUR INTENTIONS FOR 2014
We imagine, or “feel into” what we want to create, in our careers, our finances, our health, our relationship with each other and our relationships with our siblings, children, friends, and spiritual community. And then we write an intention for each staging area of our life.
HOW IS AN INTENTION DIFFERENT FROM A GOAL OR RESOLUTION?
An intention is a bit different than a goal or a resolution.
- A goal is the purpose toward which your effort is directed, like “I’m going to lose 10 pounds.”
- A resolution is a firm decree or formal statement, like “I’m going to be a size 8 by spring.”
- An intention feels more all-encompassing, specific, and powerful than a resolution. An intention is focused on the benefit, to you, in present time, of the specific life-style changes you choose. “In 2014, I enjoy eating well and playing lots of tennis because I love being healthy and strong” is an intention.
I think of an intention as a goal or resolution with forward momentum. Intentions move our attention toward the benefit of what we prefer to create, allowing us to create what we prefer with more ease and grace!HOW DO I TURN A GOAL OR RESOLUTION INTO AN INTENTION?
If you usually set New Year’s Goals or Resolutions, you can empower them by turning them into Intentions. To do that, ask yourself the following questions for each resolution:
- What are the specific life-style changes I need to make to achieve my goal?
- What will I enjoy having, doing, or being when I’ve achieved that goal?
- How can I phrase that benefit in present time, so instead of creating the feeling of wanting or desiring the benefit, I’m creating the feeling of enjoyment NOW, during the process?
This allows us to access the satisfaction of the benefit we are working toward as we are moving toward it, not just after we’ve achieved the final result.
HOW DO I POWER-UP MY INTENTIONS?
Here are the levels of power we can give our Intentions:
- Pondering/Imagining: When we know that something in our life needs to change, it can help to start in the imaginal realm, and allow ourselves to envision what change might look like. This is the first level of power, and if our intentions exist only in this realm, they will quickly fade away.
- Thinking/Determining: Once we know the specific change we need to make, we can power up our intention with our will and determination. This next level of power involves creating a clear mental image and a body sense of what it is you want to create, and holding that image as possible for you. (NOTE: Don’t fall into the trap of believing that your determination alone will be all the power you need. Remember to allow all the support you will need to flow to you, and to appreciate that support!)
- Speaking/Sharing: Speaking your intentions out loud empowers them and you! Formulating our goals into words gives them creational power. Naming what we want to create graduates your intention out of the mental domain and is the first ACTION step to creating it. Share your intentions only with those you trust to support those intentions. Mastermind partners (2-5 colleagues who meet weekly by phone to share their own intentions and support their partners’ intentions) report greater success than if they’d just spoken their intentions out loud to themselves.
- Writing/Accountability: Put your intentions in writing and you add even more creational power to them. This is why accountability journals are effective. Accountability partners write and share their weekly or monthly intentions with their partner; they hold each other accountable for progress. When we know we will be accountable to a coach or colleague/s, we work harder to achieve our intentions.
- Setting Your Intentions/Releasing Attachment to Outcome: I have a specific ritual that I use when I set my yearly or monthly intentions. Part of that ritual includes a process that allows me to release any attachment I have to specific outcomes or deadlines, so that I’m creating from the realm the yogis call “Neutral Mind” rather than “Positive Mind” (trying to make something happen) or “Negative Mind” (resisting something I don’t want). When we live in Neutral Mind, it’s SO much easier to create what we prefer!! See my gift below if you’d like to try this out.
- Activating Your Intentions: Our intentions are like seeds, which must be nurtured in order to grow. We nurture intentions with our attention. Which is why creating Feng Shui Altars is the BEST way to activate your Intentions. An altar is anything that alters your mood or energy level; an altar directs your attention to something that uplifts you. Creating a Feng Shui Altar is like opening a portal, or access point, to the Divine. Your Feng Shui Altar, as it holds and embodies your intention and calls down the powers of heaven, is a way to direct your daily attention to what you are choosing to create!
See Melody Recommends section below for my Feng Shui gift for you!
Here’s a Gift that will help you acheive your New Year’s Intentions
Most of us make New Year’s Resolutions. But by the end of February, for many of us, those resolutions have faded from our attention… until we make the same ones next year. And when we find ourselves year after year, not doing what we set out to do, we erode our own self-confidence and trust.
Our intentions are like seeds, which must be nurtured in order to grow. So I’ve created a FREE Guide for you in which I share the Feng Shui secrets to activating your intentions.
In this 16 page guide you’ll receive:
- my easy How To Set Up Your Abundance Altar Guide, so it will be easier to manifest your intentions
- my Neutral Mind Ritual that will allow you to set a powerful intention, while releasing attachment to outcome
- my Monthly New Moon Ritual, that will help you keep moving toward your intentions and track your progress, as you go through the year
Click the link below to receive my free guide.
AND, when you opt-in to receive your free Activate Your 2014 Intentions With Feng Shui Guide, you’ll receive an invitation from me to a 2-Part Playshop I’m facilitating online on January 26 and February 2, that will help you Feng Shui your entire home!
This Feng Shui Your Home for Success in 2014 2-Part Playshop is open to all of you who would like my expert guidance to set up and activate your Abundance Altar AND the other 8 Feng Shui Altars in your home.
During this 2-part online experiential group Playshop, I’ll guide you through the process of creating your intentions, setting up all 9 of your Altars, and activating them with what they each need to be SUCCESSFUL in 2014.
The Playshop takes place in 2 parts: Sunday, January 26 and Sunday, February 2 (the most powerful day of the year to activate your inentions!) from 6-8pm Eastern, 3-5pm Pacific.
• On Sunday January 26, we’ll prepare our intentions for each staging area of our lives, and learn how to set up our Feng Shui Altars.
• On Sunday February 2, we’ll do a powerful activation that will call down the powers of heaven to energize your intentions!
The investment for a private Feng Shui consultation with me is $597. But the investment for this experiential “Do it With an Expert” 2-Part Playshop is only $47. (And yes, you may forward this to invite your friends!)
When you register for this Feng Shui Playshop, you’ll receive instructions on how to prepare. (Plan to spend 30 minutes preparing, after you’ve read the Guide above). During the 2 sessions, I’ll have slides to illustrate the principles you will be learning, so you’ll understand how to create, enhance and activate each of your 9 Feng Shui Altars. When all 9 Altars are activated, your home will actually be partnering with you for SUCCESS! (If you aren’t able to make the sessions live, there will be a downloadable replay and a PDF guide).
Feng Shui has made such a huge difference in my life and the lives of my clients, allowing us to create what we prefer with so much more ease and grace. My passion is to help women create homes and workspaces that support and serve them to live their most fulfilling lives!
I look forward to facilitating a deeper partnership with your home in this Feng Shui Your Home for Success in 2014 Playshop, and serving your success and enjoying your company in my online community!
For more information and to register for Feng Shui Your Home for 2014 playshop, click here: